Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Easy Herb Pork Roast




Every cook has their own kitchen horror stories. Mine happened on the first Thanksgiving dinner I was hosting. I decided to make chicken instead of turkey because I couldn't find a turkey small enough for my toaster oven. So the guests are at the table waiting for the main course. I take it out of the oven and it looks great and I proudly carry it to the table. My Man starts carving it. It looks all perfect until he hits the bones. And here it comes - the bones look a liiittle bloody... My guests being great friends and supporters didn't make a big deal out of it (maybe they didn't even see the blood, I will never know:). But that was my horror story and for the longest time since then, I refrained from cooking any type of roasts. Then at some point I realized I was missing out because any roast looks impressive on the dinner table and is ideal for big events. I will never master cooking them if I don't try. Now I can tell it all comes with experience and a small, but very helpful device called a meat thermometer. That and a great piece of meat is all you need for a perfect roast.
There are numerous ways to make a roast. Many recipes call for some kind of stuffing, or veggies on the side, or you have to babysit the meat, brushing it with juices every so often. When I don't have time to give this amount of attention to the roast, I go for this recipe. I call it no mess-no fuss dish:)
I usually buy pork tenderloin or sirloin tip in stores like Smart and Final or Costco. I find that they always have a good deal on these types of cut. If I am not planning to make it right away, I just throw it in the freezer. I move it to the fridge the day before I intend to cook it so it can thaw. The next day I do everything by the recipe an hour and a half before the guests arrive and it's ready to be served as soon as they step inside.

Ingredients:

3 lb pork tenderloin
½ tsp sage
½ tsp dried oregano
1 ¼ tbsp paprika
½ tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
¾ tsp ground black pepper
½ - 1 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp olive oil

Mix all the spices and olive oil and let the mixture sit for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350°F/ 175°C. Line a baking dish with aluminum foil. Put the loin in the dish and rub the spice mixture all over it. Place it in the oven and cook for 1 hour.
Take the dish out and allow it to sit about 15 minutes. Slice and serve with the side dish of your choice. Top with the meat juices from the pan if desired.





Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment